Wednesday, July 04, 2007

In Deep End - Dance

About a month ago, in the heart of an already challenging time up in Washington, my singular '95 Chevy was impounded, towed, released and towed again to a shop called Clary's where it sat way too long to get fixed after a sudden CLANGdropBLAMrattlerattle over Interstate 5 disabled her and kept her from going into anything greater than third gear, much less into reverse. Insert new transmission over long time. And a few weeks ago my beloved dirty, woodchip-filled, food-stained, paint-pealing car with San Diego sage hanging from the mirror replaced my too-new rented Kia sport sedan with the tight turning radius and sunglasses compartment. Nothing has been quite the same since.

The next day I interviewed for an activism job and was working three hours later. As I patrolled the hilly and lavish area between the University of Washington and Lake Washington in the same clothes I had on that morning, I wondered what vehicle had brought me to this point? A few days later a charming room in the back of a clean, wifi-equipped college house outside the University district of Seattle came up and I took it, with east sunrise windows and a pair of walk-in closets above a laundry room opening themselves for me and all which will happen for the duration of the summer. Now, a week and a half later I am on board at the Democratic National Committee while I continue to look at teaching opportunities for the fall. 

A new trannie and all of a sudden things start to click. If the trannie were a human body part, I think it may be the nasal cavity. Not the lungs, yet similar.  You really don't get the most out of the air you breathe unless your nasal cavity is clean and well oiled. 

Today Americans (and a hilly gathering of people in Rebild, Denmark) celebrate American Independence. And around the world there are celebrations like Reunification Day in Germany, May Two-Four in Canada, other calendar days of significance for people around the world that, for many reasons, I think we need to celebrate on our own independence day to honor the freedoms of others as well as our own. Why not just think on them? It's a long day, and you have time to consider all of them.

No comments:

Gratitude Day 1

Inspired by real life needs and a beautiful gift of compact words set in a tome, I am sitting here with an idea of gratitude. If there was a...