Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The Corps of Discovery

"This day I have completed my 31st year, and in all probability now existed about half the period which I am to remain in this world. I reflected that I had, as yet, done but little - very little indeed - to further the happiness of the human race, or to advance the information of the succeeding generation.

"I viewed with regret the many hours I have spent in indolence, and now sorely feel the want of the information which those hours would have given me, had they been judiciously expended. But since they are past and cannot be recalled, I dash from me the gloomy thought, and resolve to redouble my exertions, or in future to live for mankind as I have heretofore lived for myself."


- Meriwether Lewis, born 8/18/1774,
shortly after being the first American to stride the North American continental divide
and he was born 200 years to the day before me.
Serendipity seems to have some strident notions of its own irony.

No comments:

Gratitude Day 1

Inspired by real life needs and a beautiful gift of compact words set in a tome, I am sitting here with an idea of gratitude. If there was a...