Saturday, June 24, 2006

Ejector Seat

It could be worse, I might be writing you from a prison cell on P.E.I....no, not I.M. Pei. As far as I know, Prince Edward Island is not Canada's answer to Alcatraz, but I have much to learn about this land up north of the USA, where I landed on Thursday June 22 with enough baggage to move here, a suspicion that got me in trouble at the border.

Nice Border Agent: "So, 173 days in Canada, what brings you here for so long, eh?"
Me: "To visit my girlfriend for a very long time...eh?!"
Perhaps Nice B.A.: "Do you have a job?"
Me: "I just quit one."
Rigid B.A.: "So, are you moving here?"
Me: (yes, but I know I need a job first, but I will do that while I am here, but do I tell YOU that, or just lie, can't lie, what IS the truth at this point?...need water...) "Oh nooooo."
Scowling B.A.: "Then why does it say here that you are sending two boxes of personal items?"
Me with massive drymouth: "Well, 173 dayth ith a long thime, I wanted to have my perthonal affecth....(oh boy)..."

The Border Agent then took my customs card and scribbled numbers in red, my eyes grew wider as he highlighted a few lines in fluorescent yellow, and the final mark of a huge diagonal line across both sides of the card in hot pink made my stomach turn. I had never seen so much writing on ANY customs card, ever. The dagger came as he pointed me down a long hallway and to a set of empty cubicles, in the complete opposite direction of where everyone else was walking. I had, indeed, not passed through customs.

After a lengthy interview with a pair of nice guys who asked me all the right rhetorical questions about work, how to get it, what I can and can't do while here, what I was going to do and had been doing before, and also at the end if I knew if Siemens sold its German phones here in the west or were they just sold 'over there,' I made it into a taxi and found my way to the Toronto.

So Canada, I have nothing to hide, but I can't answer all your questions without sitting down. You don't know that I shipped my "personal items" so I could fill my suitcases with my work, credentials, books, and notes on everything I know about getting here and staying here. But thinking about all of it while alone in California provided me my own answers to my own questions until I came face-to-face with real answers from real people, and to ask far more real questions in real-time. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What, they let YOU into Canada?! Man, don't they know there's a war going?? Don't tell anyone, but everyone's heading that way to avoid the draft cuz they don't want to get shipped out to Nam or Laos. But keep quiet about it. [conspiratorial snicker...]

+ Stuck in the 60's

Gratitude Day 1

Inspired by real life needs and a beautiful gift of compact words set in a tome, I am sitting here with an idea of gratitude. If there was a...